Top 10 things you might not know about Fela Anikulapo Kuti
1. Fela married 27 women in one day In 1978, Fela was named in the Guinness book of record for marrying 27 women in a single wedding ceremony. A legend I Stan.
2. He was arrested 200 times and endured numerous beatings, but continued to write political lyrics, producing albums before he died on August 2, 1997, in Lagos
3. Fela created Afrobeat.
4. Fela ran for President in 1979 He formed Movement of the People, a political party in 1979. He sought to contest for the presidency that year. But he was rejected5. Jay Z and Will Smith presents: Fela! Musical
6. In 1984, a documentary film titled “Teacher Don’t Teach Me Nonsense” inspired by his life was aired by the BBC
7. Fela built his own little country in Nigeria He built “Kalakuta Republic” his own personal domain. A place where weed flows freely
8. Fela defied his parents for music He was sent to London in 1958 to study medicine, but decided to study music instead. A journey that paid well.
9. Fela’s father was a Reverend, an Anglican minister, and school principal. He was the first president of the Nigeria Union of Teachers.
10. His mother, Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti, was a feminist activist in the anti-colonial movement